After almost two months of excessive eating and drinking in the name of Hannukah,Yuletide and New Year, chances are about now you are fit to burst. Even if you have been able to resist the urge to overindulge, the stress and pressure of merely living your life may have taken its toll on you. Here are five signs you need a vacation.
1. The daily grind starts to wear you down
If you are in a 9-5 job it can slowly wear you down. Winter weather versus comforter and hot chocolate? No brainer. Who doesn’t relish a snow day now and again? The alarm clock rings and you hit snooze seven times before dragging yourself out of bed.
2. Anything and everything people say or do annoy you.
Little things like the way your co-worker laughs while on the phone, or the way your boss slams the desk drawers each time he opens them. Gets on your nerves. Just a tad too much.
3. Hobbies and interests take a back seat to slumping on the couch with the television remote in one hand and a mug of coffee in the other. No energy to go out and exercise, meet friends for drinks or do pilates.
4. Eating more than ever, or avoiding food altogether in favour of alcohol. Seeking solace in food or alcohol is a classic sign of depression.
5. Your voicemail is full and you delete messages without listening to them. You prefer to sleep than interact with other people.
What can you do if any of these signs ring true for you?
- Engage with life in all its vibrancy.
- Start off with something small, like walking to the mailbox on the corner and back.
- Every day plan how far you will walk so you have something to look forward to.
- Learn a new recipe, invite friends round and test it on them.
- Find a new exercise class. You’ll make new friends and it could lead to new invigorating adventures together.
- Lose yourself in a good book. Take your imagination for a whirl and enjoy the escapism.
I wish you joy.
About Robin Wright-Thurley
Robin is an Associate Coach at Phoenix Relationship Coaching where he guides men towards achieving their dreams of lasting love.